Rethink and reduce
When reducing food waste, the highest impact can be achieved through prevention, or creating better systems and channels for inventory control, doing audits to discover what is not being used, creative ingredient use, and more. At home, this means meal planning and shopping with a list. In commercial kitchens, this could mean offering smaller portions or installing devices that quickly alert management in case of equipment failure. Prevention strategies allow individuals and others to create systems that are more efficient while maintaining quality standards and enjoyment of food. To further source reduction efforts in Memphis, the Memphis Food Waste Project is:
- Launching an education and awareness campaign via social media called #901SaveTheFood
- Performing food waste audits with Shelby County Schools
- Clarifying policies around share tables in Shelby County Schools
- Developing a food waste education program with students and teachers in Shelby County Schools
- Exploring best practices from other districts and municipalities for reducing food waste
- Advocating for a waste characterization study and regional solid waste plan
When you know more, you do more!
Take the Food Waste Quiz today!